Sunday, March 6, 2011

Then & Now, Round 1: Pruneface '84 vs. Orrimaarko '98



Pruneface was always a bit of a mystery for me. I'm pretty sure I got it in an overstock baggie and not on a cardback. I don't think I knew his name for quite a while. I think he was a figure my mom got from a traveling mall vendor or at a flea market. Nevertheless I did have both his cloth cape and his rifle. Since I grew up owning mostly Return of the Jedi figures, I have fond memories of cloth accessories. Anyhow, like most kids of the time I always assumed he was one of Jabba's Henchmen. When they introduced the new version in '98 it was revealed he was in fact a Rebel, dressed for a mission to the surface of Endor. Since the original came late in the Kenner collection, his sculpting holds up particularly well, especially compared to the decent but off scale sculpting Hasbro used from '95-'99. If I had to choose one version over another, I'd probably vote in favor of the original. Pruneface is not only a figure I had in my youth, but I also acquired a nice carded sample of the original sometime in the past few years. He is one of my prized pieces, I hope to send him off for grading later this year. The photos above are courtesy of Rebelscum.com the definitive source of modern Star Wars toy collecting news, and home of an in depth photo archive. Vintage figure photography by D. Martin Myatt.

No comments:

Post a Comment