Friday, February 25, 2011

Living in a world of Plastic

 I will gladly admit I'm adult who still enjoys toys. When I started getting disposable income, rather than drinking socially, or smoking, or doing drugs, I spent my time buying toys. I had never really gotten away from toys, as a bit of a social outcast in high school, I can recall still buying G.I Joe figures and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Even though I may not have fit in at the time, the 90's would usher in a collector frenzy over toys, trading cards, comics, and more. It wasn't really until the mid to late 90's that I found there was a like minded group of adults also "collecting" toys. I became friends with a good number of local collectors that I would often run into while I was out looking for toys. Nearly everyday I would stop into my local stores to check and see if anything new had arrived. Luckily for me I didn't have to go out of my way to stop at these stores, they were simply on my route home. Then finally late in the decade I managed to land a dream job as a clerk of my local Kay Bee Toys. I spent a number of years there being a cashier, then an assistant manager, then as a night stockist, back to being a cashier. It was good times, and I was the central rallying point for local collectors exchanging information not only about toys we got in the store, but also finding out which other chains had what on any given day.

No comments:

Post a Comment